Monday, April 09, 2007


Weekend in Brighton
Ian has been coming to town interviewing and we decided to head down to Brighton for the weekend. Best city so far in England! Yes, I am definitely biased. It sits on the English Channel and no matter where you are in the city; you are never to far from the ocean. It is great. The ocean is definitely something I miss. Now keep in mind, the AVP will not be playing here anytime soon. The beach consists of cobbles (cobblestones) and just is not conducive to spreading out a beach towel and snoozing for a few hours. Many of the towns have identical high streets (main streets) with repetitive shops, street designs, etc. Brighton is different. Quaint shops, great restaurants, classic pubs and rainbow flags flying high. I loved it. I made the fatale mistake of stumbling upon this cake shop. We are talking Pollyanna style, cut slice, hold with two hands….CAKE. Well I should have remembered that when I was 7 years old, there was a similar experience. Now, I digress! Let me set the scene. It’s August 1982…Servite football just ended it summer football camp which concluded with a family picnic. As a child, the picnic was the place to be. Games, hut drills, cheerleaders’ performance and a smorgasbord of potluck treats. I said it was August right? Well I remember seeing this cake. Chocolate, chocolate frosting and if that was not enough, chocolate morsels. It was not necessarily a Pollyanna re-enactment; however to a second grader the cake was massive. Well after a day of play, snacking on all delicious things, the cake was calling me and I indulged. The picnic ended and my parents took me and my siblings to visit Vince and Esther, our family friends. I remember briefly running around and then that sickly feeling quickly came upon me. Thankfully, we were all hanging out in the backyard because without warning, I covered the back driveway with a new version of chocolate cake. I do not know if it is revisionist’s history or if it was a scene stripped from Stand By Me, but I swear my brother followed suit. Who knows! Nevertheless, let’s just say that the taste of chocolate cake has never quite left me. Nearly 25 years later, I taste that “same” chocolate taste and the stomach twirls.

Back to Brighton.

Brighton was great until that fateful trip to the cake store. I think that the title gives it away. Something like the Chocolatey-wocalatey. The cake was amazing; however not even an hour later, definitely struggling, train ride home…not good…missing a week of work….POOR. “Say no to chocolate cakes!”

Brighton is amazing…you should really visit.

No comments: